Most of us have been less active lately, and it can be challenging to get out of that mindset of lolling around inside. You know you’ve got to get off the couch but you just not sure how to get started. Keeping active is essential to me and I make it part of my self-care regime. I’m going to show you my four fabulous ways to stay active at home, how to get active in the fresh air, and 21 physically active hobbies. I’m not into sport or a fixed workout routine anymore. I just dance now.
This is why.
READING TIME: 5 Mins. Or JUMP AND SKIM:
In a past life, I trotted off to the gym to do weight training and joined aerobics and step aerobics classes. After that, I discovered mediation, which led to practicing yoga. Then, life happened as they say, and I stopped doing anything for a few years. I remember the day that I’d had enough of not being active. I clicked on YouTube and put on an old dance favorite of mine – September (Earth, Wind, and Fire). I danced non stop around my flat until the song finished. When it stopped I felt exhilarated. So, I carried on and chose another five favorite dance tunes and danced. I put some welly into too. I definitely got my heart pumping.
That’s how I enjoy being active. I dance. I’m more organized now and I have a playlist of funky songs that lasts between 30 to 40 minutes. Or 20 minutes. Varying the time is good as it depends on how much time I have.
What do you enjoy doing? Keep reading and be inspired.
What Activities Can You Do To Stay Active?
There are heaps of ways to get active and I’ve split up the choices into three groups, to suit different situations, circumstances, and tastes:
- Inside – Ways to stay physically active when you’re stuck at home
- Outside – Get active in the fresh air
- Hobbies – 21 physically active hobbies.
Ways To Stay Physically Active When You're Stuck At Home
Four fabulous ways to get active at home:
1. Create and customize your own exercise program:
Pick from the following bullet list. Some options will depend on how much room you have and your level of fitness. To make it fun either blast your favorite music or switch on your favorite comedy.
Put on comedies that last about 20 minutes or so and that you already know. Doing that means when you’re doing certain exercises (e.g. lunges) you can still concentrate on doing the exercise safely and land correctly. That way you can still chuckle (you don’t have to be staring at the screen) and enjoy the exercise routine.
- Marching on the spot
- Jogging on the spot
- Star jumps
- The plank
- All over body stretch*
*Stretching is underrated. A good all over body stretch IS very enjoyable and there are tons of YouTube videos telling you how to do it.
2. Got a house? Run up and down the stairs. Got a mansion? Run around the place. Got a garden? Run, skip, and jump around the garden. Got a flat? Do number 1.
3. Organize, tidy, or clean something energetically, while listening to music, a podcast, the radio, or playing your favorite movie or TV show in the background.
- Organize – a room or garage. Bend up and down. Reach up and down. Take the long way when moving about. Get creative, focus on your movement, and use it to get more physically active. For example, you reach up for something and go up on your toes. Slowly come down and up and down and up on your toes. You get the picture.
- Tidy – find an area that needs a good tidy and tidy it, include all the hidden places like drawers and cupboards. Again, make a meal of it. Use everything you do as a way to be more physically active.
- Clean – anything! Where you live, your car, your bike, or you. The expression “make a mountain out of a molehill” is apt here. Cleaning your place or a thing can be done with plenty of gusto if you use your imagination. But what about cleaning you?
Cold showers and dry body brushing.
Getting in a cold shower and washing all over quickly is invigorating. Add a fresh smelling body wash and exfoliating into the mix to ramp up the experience. Dry body brushing will enliven you! It increases blood flow and circulation. An extra benefit is that it improves the appearance of skin.
(4) Active video games – for dancing, playing games and working out. It’s been a while, but I have tried out all three, and they are super fun. With or without other people. How else can you play tennis and give archery a go in your front room? Awesome.
Get Active In The Fresh Air
- Take a stroll (with/without a dog or someone else). Go jogging or cycling
- Roller skating or rollerblading
- Throw a frisbee in the park
- Play with a ball – kick it, throw it, hit it – depending on the game
- Outdoor swimming
- Go old school – pogo sticks, space hoppers, trampoline, hopscotch, swing ball, and hula hoops.
All of the above are fantastic fun if that’s your cup of tea but maybe a hobby would be more suitable?
21 Physically Active Hobbies
Hobbies can be exciting and if you choose one that has you being physically active as well, it’s a win-win, right? There are a couple of repeats in the following list e.g. cycling, dancing and walking but these, of course, can be turned into hobbies.
- Bike riding
- Hiking and walking
- Triathlons and running marathons
- Scuba diving
- Mountain climbing
- Horseback riding
How Do I Become More Active?
By doing a little each day. No, I’m not talking about an hour of strenuous exercise every day. Just doing something active each day. Here are some strategies:
- Be mindful of where you can be active as you go about your day. Take the stairs instead of the lift. Walk to the shops instead of going in the car.
- Dance or do your customized exercise program for 20 to 30 minutes before or after work.
- Go for a 10 minute walk on your lunch break.
- Do your hobby.
- Choose and include any of the things already mentioned into your day.
It’s vital to bring up a couple of things. If you haven’t been active for some time (or never), then you must take it slow. Talk to your doctor when starting a new exercise program is always sound advice.
I Just Dance Now
It really doesn’t matter how you get active only that you do get active. Finding something you enjoy doing means that you are more likely to continue being active. You are having fun while you get fit.
This is why I just dance now.
Here’s to you finding “your dance”!
The name of The Game is Experience so let us experience Connecting and Sharing.
Comment by sharing your tips on how to get active and what you do.
Save THIS PIN below to your Self-Care or Keep Active Board to check later and have the information easily at your finger tips.