I absolutely had to write this post and fast. Why? Most (not all) of the articles that I’ve read online that talk about how to do affirmations seem to be missing a step. A vital step, that without it your affirmations will not work. The how-to of affirmations will tell you ALL the steps in the process of doing successful affirmations.
What's The Point Of Affirmations?
To change, motivate and encourage.
- Negative thoughts and beliefs about how we talk to ourselves internally.
- Old non-beneficial patterns of behavior.
- Our self-sabotaging ways so that we can build up our self-esteem.
To motivate and encourage you in something you are doing or want to do.
Most people have heard of affirmations. Some believe they are phooey and some swear by them. And some people have tried them believing that they will work and they haven’t. If that’s you then you’re in the right place because I can tell you why they probably didn’t work.
They didn’t work because you don’t believe in magic. 😂
No, seriously now – they didn’t work because you weren’t told ALL the steps in the process.
Keep reading and then try affirmations again.
Affirmations And An Analogy
The analogy here is making a cup of coffee with a French Press. You’ve been sent an email on how to do it, you’ve never done it before. The email states:
- Grind the coffee beans. The grounds should be uniform in size. Add the grounds to the French press.
- Add the water to the French press and stir it vigorously into the grounds.
- Let it brew for about 4 minutes, then slowly plunge the press, separating the grounds from the coffee.
- Serve and enjoy.
Sounds like making coffee, looks like making coffee. But does it make a delicious hot coffee?
Nope! You just made a weird mix of cold water and coffee grinds.
The key step to make this process work effectively was not given.
The instructions didn’t tell you to boil the kettle first, and wait a minute and then pour the heated water over the grounds of coffee.
The same goes for the information I have read online about how to do affirmations. They tell you to think of a positive phrase or statement and repeat it to yourself out loud and in your head each morning (or whenever). Sometimes, while staring in the mirror smiling to yourself.
Is it any wonder that (1) it doesn’t work and (2) you feel awkward and uncomfortable?
Don’t get me wrong – general positive self-talk can be done anytime and anywhere and I encourage that. But the kind of affirmations I am talking about here are the affirmations that you are using because you are serious about making long-lasting changes in your life.
With those kinds of affirmations you need to ensure that ALL the steps are covered.
What are those steps?
5 Steps To Successful Affirmations
- Make the statement or phrase positive and in the present – This is VERY important and you will see why when I explain in number 5. Make up your affirmation to suit what you are trying to achieve. If you are stuck then Google it. There are hundreds of lists online to get ideas from. Type in things like “Affirmations for women / men / kids / stop smoking / self-worth / self-esteem. Whatever you need, you’ll find it.
- Write down your affirmations, to reinforce the message mentally.
- When you say or think the affirmation, say it with feeling and emotion – it makes it more powerful.
- Repeat the affirmations every day.
It may be suggested to repeat them more that once throughout the day. However, usually that’s pretty much the steps you are given.
It is possible that this will work for some people with certain things. Also, it may work for a period of time and then you revert back to the thoughts and behaviors you were trying to move away from.
In short, the state of mind you need to be in to take on board your carefully thought out affirmations. This is to ensure that they get implanted properly and you start to re-wire your brain so that you have thoughts and beliefs that support what you want in your life.
Before I explain the elusive number 5 I must talk about these negative thoughts and beliefs, or more importantly where they are held.
The Subconscious Mind
I wrote a whole article on the subconscious mind so I’ll be brief here. The subconscious mind holds EVERYTHING. It remembers and holds all your thoughts, experiences, and beliefs from the moment you were born. You are functioning for 95% of your day from that mind.
Not all those beliefs are benefitting you now and you will not change them until you change them on the subconscious level.
Did you hear that? Consciously you can state your affirmations until you are blue in the face but if you do not state them to your subconscious you will not make long-lasting change.
That is why I said you need to be in the right state of mind to make change.
Here is number 5:
5. Get into a relaxed state of being so that you can enter into your subconscious mind and THEN state your affirmations mentally and verbally.
The subconscious mind does not recognize negatives and it only understands the present. That is why it is important to create your affirmations positively and in the present tense.
The subconscious mind learns through repetition. Which is why it is important to repeat every day or as often as possible until it re-wires itself.
One More Thing
Getting into that relaxed state can be done by yourself through mediation or relaxation techniques. However, if you find it difficult to do that yourself there are numerous audios and tools that can help you achieve it.
I did a review here of a company that specializes in creating programs with affirmations in over 300 different categories.
Make friends with your subconscious mind, it is part of you after all.
It will probably be the greatest friend you ever have!
The name of The Game is Experience so let us experience Connecting and Sharing.
Tell me a story or give me a comment related to affirmations.
Save THIS PIN below to your Affirmations or Visualization Board to check later and have the information easily at your finger tips.