Do you see what I see? Probably not. One planet experienced by six billion different worlds. How I perceive a situation or circumstance will be different from how you perceive it. Our past experiences, culture, society, and family form part of our world and we understand the information we receive through it. That understanding is the basis of our choices and actions. So then, what is mind over matter? Being self-aware of our thoughts and feelings and not automatically acting on them.
I want this post to be useful and beneficial to you and me. That said, I have added affiliate links to this article and would love it if you decide to use them. 😘
READING TIME: 5 Mins. Or JUMP AND SKIM:
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter don’t mind.”Bernard M. Baruch
Cultivating your mind over matter muscle is a valuable skill to develop for many reasons and benefits. The three main components of mind of matter are:
- Focus on the present and not the past.
- Be aware of thoughts, feelings, emotions, and choices.
- Responding not reacting.
By doing this we can respond appropriately to the situation presented and not allow our emotions and past programming to control us.
Benefits on having a grasp of mind of matter include:
- Peace of mind
- Know yourself – understand why you think and feel a certain way and make the decisions you make so that you can make better choices
- Better relationships – improved communication with family, friends, and work colleagues
- Good listening skills
- Increased self-worth and self-esteem
- More confidence
- Able to be truly present for others
- Less stress and anxiety
- Clearer mind – no confusion
- Happier, peaceful life
Allowing your emotions to rule over you will create all kinds of chaos in your life.
When Emotions And The Past Rule
When interpreting information through the filter of past experiences the likelihood is that there is a reaction to what we are perceiving, rather than a response. Emotions cloud what is really happening and thinking is not clear. Most of us have been on the receiving end of an emotional outburst from someone (or been the emotional outburst) and have been confused as to why they (or you) reacted like that. Going through life and not going within to discover the reasons can lead to continued reactions that are baffling and upsetting for your relationships.
There is a lot to be said for not reacting and thinking before speaking. Reacting can result in creating chaos, fear, stress, and anxiety. There is no true listening and communication going on when we allow our past to cloud what is really happening now. Some non-beneficial things take place:
- Speaking too much and not listening.
- Talking over the other person.
- Thinking about what you want to say rather than listening to what is being said.
- Getting completely the wrong end of the stick.
- Being over-emotional.
Misunderstandings and getting upset can be avoided if we have a strong mind over matter muscle.
Perception Is Everything
Perception is what you interpret through your senses (see, hear, touch, taste, smell) and is significantly affected by the programs you have been surrounded with throughout your life. Those programs are country, culture, family, friends, and work colleagues. Plus of course anything else you are exposed to, e.g. TV, movies, media and the news.
This is why a group of people that see the same event happening will all report seeing something slightly different afterward. It is also why eye witness statements in criminal cases are NOT the best evidence. Yes, some can be accurate but they can just as easily not be. Eyewitnesses will perceive and understand what they are seeing through their own filters.
It takes a strong mind (mind over matter) to regard events as they are happening and not bring all their past baggage with them to influence the situation.
Knowing yourself should not be taken lightly as some airy-fairy notion. Instead, by knowing ourselves we can know our minds, control our emotions, and not allow our past to color our perception of the present.
How do you practice mind over matter?
How Do You Exercise Your Mind Over Matter Muscle?
I’ve established that mind over matter is being able to not react to every button that is pushed and that peace of mind with a happier way of life is the main benefit.
But how do do that?
9 suggestions to start working out your mind over matter muscle:
- Make a strong intention that you will not allow your peace of mind to be affected.
- Commit to making the effort required for your personal growth.
- Practice mindfulness as it is by being present that we can become aware of what we are thinking and feeling at any moment in time.
- Notice when your buttons are pushed and take the time to investigate why. Go deep and look in the shadows, whatever you find – it’s okay, accept ALL of you.
- Let go of anything that is holding you back, forgive others, and forgive yourself – move on.
- Stop holding on to past events, whether you labeled them “good” or “bad”. They were neither, they were just experiences and they are not happening now.
- THINK before you speak, slow your roll. Stop reacting and start responding.
- Sometimes we don’t have to say or do anything, especially when it is none of our business so check, are you just feeding into someone else’s drama?
- Take a step back and regard your emotions, why are you feeling like that? (Work through your emotions, process them but do not linger with them).
Once you start to become aware of how you are thinking and feeling and you *take out the trash from your mind you will notice that you are beginning to have mind over matter.
*trash is anything that is not happening now.
Like any muscle, the more you use it the stronger it gets. Likewise the other way – if you don’t use it, you lose it and then you allow external events and people to push you around and disturb your peace of mind.
Mind Over Matter Matters
Talking and writing about controlling your thoughts and emotions is easy. Giving suggestions on how to accomplish mind over matter is straightforward. Practicing mindfulness, being vigilant on what you are thinking, and the choices you are making daily, plus doing the shadow work is NOT easy and straightforward.
Most of us tell ourselves that we don’t have time as we have so many other things and work to do. But it is the cares of this world that are the very things preventing us from really knowing ourselves and unlocking our true potential.
Mind over matter is the key that will allow you to transform and live a fulfilling life with peace of mind. Change your PERCEPTION and you can change your PERSPECTIVE (your way of seeing things, your point of view). Change your PERCEPTION AND YOU CAN CHANGE ALMOST ANYTHING.
THINK ABOUT IT!
Then take action by practicing mindfulness and begin the internal work, here are two posts to get you started:
Also, BE Inspired and grab my Free Ebook now. The 6 Powerful Tips in the book have really propelled me forward in life and strengthened my mind over matter muscle.
I’ll leave you with the wise and wonderful words of Bob Marley:
“None but ourselves can free our minds.”Redemption Song by Bob Marley
Disclaimer: One More Thing! This article includes affiliate links & if you decide to use them, I would really appreciate it. The links help creators like me to continue writing free content.
The name of The Game is Experience so let us experience Connecting and Sharing.
Do you think mind over matter is important? Share in the comments below.
Save THIS PIN below to your Self-Care or Know Yourself Board to check later and use some of the tips in your day.